Should you have time to prepare for every single meal which provides plenty of nutrition, you are so lucky. However, lots of people tend to have a mild dinner which is fast prepared, no matter how simple it might seem. An easy healthy dinner is what we are dreaming of, easy to make and healthy enough to sustain our body.
When being asked about a meaning dinner, I just think about the my lonely dinner in the office. At that time, I was buried with piles of document, contracts and hardly left the office earlier than 8:00. My first choice of dinner were fried chicken and hamburger, then quenched my thirst with beverage. Things went on very well until a day I could not put in my T-shirt because my waistline was not mine of long time ago. Not only that, I looked more overweight, more sluggish, my temper changed negatively. After doing some research online, I realized that unhealthy dinner (or more meals at night) could easily cause obesity and other diseases.
A. Common mistakes of dinner habit
For most people, while they can enjoy breakfast and lunch by themselves or on the go, dinner is likely to be a group activity. Dinner usually comes with social conventions, family patterns and exhaustion. Following are the 4 biggest mistakes that you (and me) should have a look.
1. Enjoy a luxurious dinner
In the beginning of the day, the more energy you have to expend, the mire calories you have to intake. According to recently research, dinner should add around 450 and 625 calories. However, these figures are for normal women and men. Some nutritionists and experts believe that it can be much less than that, about 20 to 25 percent of your daily calories.
2. Serve all the food on the table
When everything for dinner is placed on the table, it encourages over-eating. Then just take little and stay away from the table until you go for a second helping.
3. Watching TV or computer
Many people do not make their mistake at the dinner table, but on the coach or in their own room. It is the mindless eating while you attach to a screen watching TV or surfing the webs. In this case, separating eating from other activities is the best solution.
4. Going out and eat too much
Restaurant meals tend to be higher in calories, combining with salts, fats and sugars. Fast food and other food-to-go are out of question because of their unnatural ingredients. Thus, you are recommended not to eat out more than once a week.
B. Sample recipe for easy healthy dinner
We all know that the combination of carbs and proteins make you feel satisfied for a long time after meals. The problem is that many people do not know what to put on their plate, not to mention the serving sizes become so large. You should note that this does not always have to be a meat, starch on your plate. The message is to find the right balance in a particular meal which are protein, high quality carbs and fibers from vegetable.
Here are one simple recipe about easy healthy dinner. You can find more on some cooking websites like joythebaker or buzzfeed. Try to make every single healthy dinner for every day to avoid repetition and enjoy various food in a week time.
Best chicken dinner
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 red new potatoes, diced into large chunks
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- cooked white rice and peas
- Step 1: Season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Step 2: heat olive oil in a large saucepan with over medium heat. When oil is hot enough, add all of the chicken seasoned pieces and cook to golden about 4 – 5 minutes before flipping and browning on the opposite side.
- Step 3: When both sides are browned, add onion slices, potato chunks, and whole peeled garlic cloves. Toss so that all of the ingredients begin to cook down, about 4 minutes more.
- Step 4: add some white wine and stir to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Cook in about 3 minutes until the wine reduces by half.
- Step 5: add the chicken stocks and bay leaf. Place the lid on the pan, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the mixture for 25 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Step 6:Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken and potatoes to a platter. Discard the bay leaf. Simmer the sauce until thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Step 7:Serve with white rice and cooked peas, chicken, and sauce.
This simple meal takes you about 15 minutes for preparation and 25 minutes of cooking time. Boneless chicken thighs are delicious and easy to cook. However, they are super affordable for every family. This 5-star meal provides enough protein of chicken, carbs of white rice and fiber from vegetable. Ensure that your meal (not just for dinner) contains enough those substances to strengthen your health and recharge your energy.
Just follow the instruction above and be ready for a big surprise.
C. Secrets and tips to cook a easy healthy dinner
- Use unsaturated fat moderately in olive oil rather than saturated one in butter.
- Pick the whole grains (rather than refined grains) which contain more fiber, B vitamins, zinc and other nutrient.
- Consume more fruit and vegetable. Pick them in a variety of color to get a range of antioxidants and vitamins.
- Eat small amount of lean meat, fish and poultry as they not only contain protein but saturated fat.
- Replace whole-milk dairy products with low-fat or nonfat to cut saturated fat in your meal.
- Add sweeteners judiciously as any kind of sugars (white and brown sugar, honey, maple syrup) provide significant calories without any healthy value.
- Watch your sodium intake whether you have high blood pressure or not. ( everyday just use a teaspoon of salt)
- Enhance food with flavors from healthy ingredients like herbs, spices, citrus.
- Be mindful and enjoy the meal.